”Moving up the corporate ladder’ is no longer as relevant as ’Rising in my leadership
The idea of work and workplaces, are seeing a fundamental shift — companies are moving from being a factory providing jobs for specific skills to being a platform that brings people together on a journey of trust, connection and meaningful exchange.
From strict employment contracts to flexible engagement models, from hiring for fixed job descriptions to seeking opportunities of relevance, from a dedicated HR department to participative leadership, from yearly performance reviews to anytime peer to peer feedback, from large disparate groups to closely knit communities — new perspectives are challenging every company to be more open, adopting transparency and empathy across the board, while growing stronger in their values.
87% organizations say that culture and engagement is one of their top challenges.
Source: Deloitte Human Capital Trends 2015
How do you create a workplace ethos, a culture that’s highly progressive, disruptive and relevant, in the face of change?
We noted top 5 things, that are timeless and fundamental to building a great workplace, that can be implemented right away and continued always.
- Choose transparency, always. It may be hard, but it can never be wrong. Great workplaces have people communicating honestly with each other and being at ease with it.
- Nudge people to be constructive, always. Help them go beyond ‘complaining’ to bringing positive change in people and the environment. Evoking positive change is everyone’s responsibility.
- Find opportunities in being democratic, always. Allow people to openly speak up about what could be done differently, and how they could participate more in decisions and actions. Democracy also evokes ownership for positive change.
- Encourage peer to peer feedback, always. Let people hel p each other envision their next level of responsibility and leadership growth. Nudge people to ask for feedback with ease. Make growth a daily affair, not yearly.
- Recognize sparks of greatness, always. Recognize great intentions, selfless actions, coming from anyone on the team. Try spotting things that’re going great, even in tough times when it’s hard to see.
Great work culture and people engagement can lead to profound exchanges, can catalyze progress, nudging people to be their greatest selves.
We believe it’s an organization’s responsibility to enable holistic growth of its people and make growth happen at all moments of opportunity, not just once a year.
“Peerly”, a Codewave product ( https://codewave.com/peerly ), intends to make everyday inspiration and opportunities. more vivid, intensifying our connections with people and our experience of life at work.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
1. What cultural attributes make a workplace thrive?
A workplace culture that encourages open communication, mutual respect, and a sense of community can help to create a positive and productive environment. A culture of trust and transparency, where employees feel comfortable sharing their ideas and feedback, can foster innovation and improve decision-making. Additionally, a workplace that values diversity, equity, and inclusion helps to create a culture of belonging and understanding, which can lead to greater employee engagement and satisfaction. Empowering employees to take initiative and ownership of their work also helps to create a culture of accountability and high performance.
2. How do you create a thriving workplace?
A thriving workplace can be created by fostering a positive work culture, promoting open communication and teamwork, providing opportunities for professional development and growth, and encouraging a healthy work-life balance. Creating a clear vision and mission for the company and ensuring that employees understand how their roles contribute to the larger goals of the organization can also be important. In addition, providing a safe and comfortable work environment and recognizing and rewarding employees for their hard work and contributions can help foster a positive and productive workplace.
3. How to shape your organizational culture for high growth?
Shaping your organizational culture for high growth involves creating an environment that fosters innovation, risk-taking, and experimentation. A culture of open communication and collaboration is essential to help your team members share ideas, learn from one another, and work together effectively. Additionally, you should create clear goals and incentives that align with your company’s overall mission and values, and empower your employees to make decisions and take ownership of their work. Finally, regularly review and adjust your culture as your company grows to ensure it remains aligned with your goals and values.
4. How important is transparency in the workplace?
Transparency in the workplace is crucial for building trust and fostering a positive work environment. It helps to promote open communication and ensures that all employees are aware of the company’s objectives and progress towards achieving them. It also allows for greater accountability and helps to prevent misunderstandings and conflicts. Additionally, transparency can lead to greater employee engagement and a sense of ownership among team members. Overall, transparency is essential for the smooth functioning and success of any organization.